ABOUT THE HOUSE
PINK HILL KAROO is fully equipped, elegantly furnished, and offers the following amenities:
• WiFi (for when you MUST connect)
• Solar electricity and a solar geyser, gas geyser for hot water in the kitchen
• One main bedroom with a king extra length dreamy bed and en suite bathroom (sleeps 2)
• One second bedroom with three-quarter bunkbeds and an en suite bathroom (sleeps 4)
• A tranquil reading room
• Crisp white, 100% cotton percale bedlinen and 100% cotton towels
• A splash pool for those hot Karoo nights
• Five fireplaces for those cold Karoo nights
• An outside entertainment area with a braai (we supply the firewood and firelighter)
• Daily servicing is included, if you wish (10-12am)
• A Smeg gas oven and stove for healthy, hearty meals
• A Scotsman ice maker for long and short drinks
• Well-behaved dogs allowed for a small fee and prior arrangement. Our Merino sheep often graze around the house
• All windows and doors are double glazed, making the house cool in summer and cosy in winter
• PLEASE ARRANGE WITH CHARGO FARM STALL FOR BRAAI PACKS at (051) 004 0373
ABOUT THE FARM
The farm Nagtegaalsfontein, on which the beautiful Pink Hill Karoo was built, was registered in 1836. From sheep to ostrich farming, cultivating tomatoes in still-visible fields, and even a South African War battle, the farm has changed little shape and function over the decades.
During the Battle of Pink Hill fought on the farm in 1900, an estimated 1 000 horses and their riders were stationed on the farm. Traces of their presence can still be seen on the piece of land where the house was built if you look at the vegetation where open patches and “steekgras” are visible.
The farm’s history dates back even further. The primitive stone tools found near the house speak of the settlement of bushmen here more than 2 000 years ago.
The house was named after the koppie or small mountain - Pink Hill.
When you sit on the stoep, you get uninterrupted views of this small mountain with its pink tinge.
The exterior and stoep of the home were built with stone sourced on the farm. It has been designed to fuse beautifully and perfectly with the natural environment: grassy plains, a natural fountain, perennial stream, limitless skies, clean air, and wide-open spaces.
The interior is minimalistic yet elegant. It is perfect for the discerning traveller who appreciates the beauty of simplicity.